Young children explore the world by putting things in their mouth, and even curious older children don't always know what's unsafe. That explains why more than 1 million children under age 6 are victims of accidental poisoning each year.
Keep your child safe by identifying (and locking up) toxic materials and knowing what to do if she swallows, inhales, or touches something poisonous.
Conduct a room-by-room inventory of toxic products, listing anything that's out in the open as well as inside drawers, cupboards, and closets.
Experts recommend paying particular attention to the kitchen and bathroom. It's not always obvious what's hazardous and what's not, and poisonous substances may not be in plain sight.
Here are some of the hazardous substances commonly ingested by children under age 6: * Cleaning products, including drain cleaner, oven cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, bleach, dishwasher detergent, liquid laundry packets, furniture polish, and rust remover * Prescription drugs such as heart and blood pressure medications, antidepressants, sleeping pills, diabetes medications, pain medications, and time-release medications * Cosmetics and personal care products, such as mouthwash, nail products, hair remover * Baby oil or similar products (which can be dangerous if your child gets them in his lungs) * Acetaminophen or ibuprofen, which are poisonous when taken in large doses * Aspirin, which can lead to Reye's syndrome, a rare brain and liver disease that can be fatal * General medicines * Button, Batteries, Magnets etc. * Household plants, especially philodendron and holly berries * Paint thinner, paint remover, kerosene, lighter fluid, antifreeze, and windshield washer fluid * Pesticides and pest control products, such as roach and ant baits, rodent poison, and insect repellent
#babies #kids #motherhood #parenthood #fatherhood #parenting #goodparenting #raisinglittlehumans #raisingchildren #wholesomechildren #anxiousmommy #father #mom #mummy #proudmommy #parenting101 #parentingadvice #parentingquotes